Celebrated yearly on April 1st, April Fool’s Day traditions include playing tricks or practical jokes on others, often yelling “April Fools!” at the end. While the exact origins of the holiday are still a mystery, some historians theorize April Fools’ Day dates back as far as 1582 in France. Speculation has been made that when France first switched from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar – unlike now when a single post on social media could inform the masses – the news spread slowly to some, resulting in failure to recognize the start of the new year being moved from April 1st (Spring Equinox) to January 1st. These individuals continued to celebrate the upcoming new year during the last week of March into April 1st, becoming the target of jokes and pranks, often times being mocked and called “April fools”. Paper fish were sometimes placed on their backs and they were referred to as “poisson d’avril” (April fish), symbolizing a young, easily caught fish or gullible person.
In honor of this fun filled day, here are a few jokes sure to make you crack a smile!
- Why is everyone so exhausted on April 1? Because they just had a 31-day March.
- What did summer say to spring? “I’m going to fall!”
- How do April flowers kiss? With their tu-lips!
- What monster plays the most April Fools’ jokes? Prankenstein
- Did you hear about the guy who swapped the labels on the pumps at the gas station? It was an April Fuels’ joke.
Happy April Fool’s Day!